♫: Fiya Wata (River of Love) – Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
First things first: While many of us associate Memorial Day as being the unofficial start of summer, the holiday itself is much more than that. A quick Google image search for the simple phrase “memorial day” reveals some of the saddest of pictures and some of the saddest of reminders as to what this holiday is really about, and some of what is easy to forget in the midst of good food, good friends, good weather, and good times. I didn’t really grow up with any active military in my immediate family (although rumor has it that my Great Aunt Clara, teeny-tiny and lefse-wielding and Betty White-ish as she was when I knew her, was apparently a regular Rosie the Riveter helping to build airplanes for WWII in Wichita, KS); I also grew up in an area of this country where it was easy to forget the sacrifices made by the men and women that serve our country. We hardly ever had to witness those sacrifices first hand.
It wasn’t until I moved to Colorado that I began to see it, and feel it, and understand a bit better how heavy those sacrifices often are, as Colorado is home to several military bases. So I would just like to say thank you to all the people that have served and continue to serve our country–we’re not a perfect country, no country is, but you all do an incredibly exigent (yet crucial!) job protecting things we all too often take for granted. Thank you.
Second: I can’t stop listening to the new Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros Album. So good! It’s not officially out until tomorrow, but NPR has the entire album up and streaming for those of us with impatient, impulse-control-lacking geeky souls.
Third: I try to avoid doing a lot of c/o’s on this blog for a few various reasons, but the David Yurman sunglasses that I received a few months ago have quickly become one of my favorite pairs to grab. I wasn’t sure how I’d like the circular shape of the lenses, as I am more of a cat-eye girl myself, but they’re fun, lightweight, AND fit on this big ol’ head of mine comfortably for hours without pinching or causing headaches. So thanks again to all the folks over at David Yurman–so sweet, good stuff. ♥
- Sweater: J Crew Tippi Sweater in Neon Persimmon (buy it here) (similar here, on sale) (an option at F21) (a button down option at LOFT) (last worn here)
- Shorts: ASOS (buy them here, on sale) (similar at Topshop) (similar by Alice + Olivia) (longer length option at Free People)
- Aqua necklace: Forever 21, old (similar by Amrita Singh) (similar at Anthropologie)
- Gold Necklace: Banana Republic Outlet (similar here)
- Purple Pendant: ALDO, old (similar at Endless) (similar at Piperlime)
- Gold Bracelet: Forever 21, old (similar at Charlotte Russe) (splurge at Neiman Marcus)
- Watch: Michael Kors Espresso Glitz Blair Watch (buy it here) (great option by Fossil) (another option by Fossil) (last worn here)
- Ring: Yves Saint Laurent Arty in Silver/Gold (buy it here) (last worn here)
- Shoes: J Crew Valentina Pumps in Weathered Rose (buy them here) (similar by Mark + James) (last worn here)
- Bag: Chloe Paraty in Rosewood, old (similar here) (similar by Marc Jacobs, on sale) (similar under $100) (last worn here)
- Sunglasses: David Yurman Signature Cable Sunglasses in Ametrine, c/o (buy them here) (last worn here)
- Lips: Nars Velvet Matte Lip in Bolero (buy it)